Wednesday, March 23

Watching You (and Me)

I was again reminded today of the fact that other poeple pay attention to my actions, as well as others' actions. I had stopped to get gas at the Sprint Foods/McDonald's in Augusta ($1.97, ridiculous!!). Since my debit card was acting up at the pump, I had to go pay inside. As I walked in, another person was walking out. After the door closed, the one cashier said to the other,"Was that a flirt?!" I of course had not seen what had happened, but some other costumers were commenting on the same thing. "You'd like to hope not!" "You'd like to know!" Just made me wonder what they say about me when I walk out the door.

Reminds me of another instance. Happened the other week when Lez was flying down to go with me to get my scholarship. I was telling my Biology teacher, Dr. Wear, about her coming down. She grinned and said,"Are you planning to shave before she gets here?" Now, for those of you who don't know, don't let this fool you: I shave, I have something to shave, but I don't grow a forest in a week's time. It's more like long muttonchops with a large goatee, and about 1 inch of, shall we say, sparsely populated area between the two. But I digress. I said yeah, I plan to, and she said that she had noticed that I had a little more than a 5 o'clock shadow there. Twas more like a 3-day (for some people; I had gone a week.) It wasn't that she really wanted me to shave my chin. Rather, I think that she probably expected consistency of lifestyle from someone who dresses and acts differently than most other students do. Shame on me if I let her down.

I don't say this in fear of my self-image to others. But as an ambasssador of Christ, I hope that people can see a consistency in me that reflects the love of God. Can I claim Christianity with a separated and non-conformed lifestyle if I don't practice it in all areas?

Sobering.

4 Comments:

At 3/23/2005 7:20 PM, Blogger Darin Yoder said...

You think $1.97 is a ridiculous price for gas? How about this: A week ago I filled my car up. The price per gallon was $2.09 and that was midgrade. Now regular is up to there. Gaaaah.

I should seriously look into getting a motorcycle.

Or a horse.

 
At 3/23/2005 7:54 PM, Blogger Momof3 said...

Oh Yay, Darin!! I can see it now: Darin, riding a Harley, complete with long hair in a ponytail (don't forget the rubberband!), shaggy beard, leather, and tattooes.

Disgusting. Don't ever!! I know you won't.

Here's my favorite Harley man:

www.aug.edu/~mcsjmb

That's him on the right. In this picture, he has hair down to the bottom of his shoulderblades. He now has it cut off. He's a great math teacher.

 
At 3/23/2005 9:43 PM, Blogger Darin Yoder said...

Nay, if I was to get a bike it'd be a street bike.

I'm still leaning toward a horse.

But I might just walk....

 
At 3/26/2005 2:07 PM, Blogger Truthseeker said...

You think that is high? In '73 the price we paid then in today's money adjusted for inflation would have been $3.o3 a gal.! Just wait you ain't seen nothin yet! But think of what some people pay for water in a bottle, and the ink you get in your printer's cartridge is about $2000.00 a gal., think I'm gonna get a printer that uses toner! Might be higher up front but cheaper in # of copies. We will see.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home