Wednesday, April 16

Change of Plans

Thanks to those of you that gave your advice/comments on potty training. I've since decided I will wait on that until after we're back from vacation. I've decided instead to work on getting rid of the pacifier. My daughter is as attached to her pacifier as we Southerners are to sweet tea. I can get it away during the day, telling her to go put it in her bed, it's only for naptime/bedtime. Be warned though that when it's time for bed, you'd better have that paci handy or you'll have a teary battle.
So I've decided I'd rather be able to only have Ashleigh's paci to worry about while we're away. Taking a pacifier away is much harder than a bottle, though. For Kaylie, I weaned her from nursing to a bottle and then to a cup of milk. She was already drinking from a cup for quite some time till I did this, but not a milk cup as such. So she's been relatively easy to wean from other things, but this paci thing is going to be tougher.
Today is the first day of no paci in the bed. I've decided I have to stick to it, no matter how long she cries. Pray with me that it'll go easier than I'm anticipating! Today's naptime only involved a minimum of tears.....I've a fear night time might be harder though. "I am resolved no longer to linger........"
I've debated cutting the paci's nipple as others have done, but I think that would only serve to aggravate her, rather than solve the problem of taking it away completely. She wouldn't want to give it up that way.......she'd just get upset, I think. So!
For those of you who've gone this road before or are doing it now, any tips?

3 Comments:

At 4/16/2008 2:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't usually use pacis so don't know if I've got any help, just sympathy and encouragement to "stick to it"! (we had a thumb sucker and went through a little time of "weaning" with that...)

I have heard some people using an exchange item like a new soft blankie or teddy bear to sleep with instead--it's still kind of a comfort thing. And stress the "big girl" thing. Just an idea. Best wishes!

 
At 4/16/2008 2:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

At least a paci you can take away. You cannot remove the two middle fingers of a child's hand. Although, she only does it while going to sleep and the fingers don't stay in there while she's sleeping, so I'm not too worried.

 
At 4/20/2008 3:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

At least it's a pacifier and not her thumb... just ask mom about that struggle! ;)

~Heather

 

Post a Comment

<< Home