Friday, July 28

Retail and corporate differences

I learned a new thing about cell phone carriers last night. Well, at least with Verizon Wireless. As of June 16th, I'm up for a renewal on my phone, so I went in to the corporate store and asked them about getting a free phone and they told me that due to my phone being the secondary line on our account, I had to pay for mine, versus Vern getting his free if he chose to, with the primary line. Their cheapest phone was basically $60. I said forget it, we weren't looking to pay that right now, I'll just stick with what I have a little longer and deal with any problems that crop up now and then.

Then last night we stepped in the retail store, to ask her 'how we could save money on our bill, because the sign at the door told us to ask how we could save $25. We stood there at the door and debated if it was worth it, and decided sure, why not, couldn't hurt. This place sells Verizon, but isn't called Verizon, therefore making itself a retail store, not corporate. I didn't realize that makes the difference in 'retail' versus 'corporate'. All you men or better educated women can laugh now, if you already knew this.
In the course of conversation with the sales rep, I asked her about getting my phone renewed and repeated what I'd been told. She looked at me as if I'd grown a third eye, and we got to checking on this, and not only was she able to get me a free phone on our plan (They are no longer selling our price plan, meaning we'd have to upgrade, which we weren't going to do now.), but she also gave Vern a free belt clip for his phone when she saw him checking them out.
Now that's what I call service! I will definitely go back to her, versus the corporate store from now on! She bent over backwards to keep us as Verizon customers, and I liked that.

Apparently with corporate stores, they have way more rules and regulations they have to follow, whereas Money Talks, or whatever her store was called, doesn't. Since they aren't employed by Verizon as such, they only have the minimum of guidelines to follow. Needless to say, I was glad!

How many of you use Verizon? What other cell carrier do you use?

3 Comments:

At 7/28/2006 11:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I also just upgraded my Verizon phone and we went to a Verizon store, and when they knew what we wanted, the Rep told me that I could go online and upgrade my phone cheaper than doing it in the store!
So at work the next day I decided to try it out and I got a $129.00 camera phone FREE! And I only had to upgrade the plan for MY phone, and not the other 3 that are also on that plan. My phone is not the main phone on the line either, but I had no problems.
I am really enjoying my new phone as well!

 
At 7/28/2006 3:46 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Well... out here, Verizon isn't that great. Cingular wireless is the most popular and for good reason. WE never get dropped calls, the plans are affordable, and you can call mobile to mobile free. I would call more often if you had cingular! :) Still, good girl for milking the customer service!

 
At 7/28/2006 9:19 PM, Blogger Momof3 said...

We have free mobile to mobile as well. Plus now with the UH discount, I'll bet our bill is cheaper than Cingular's would be.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home