Tuesday, December 27

Grade Stress

I'm not really stressing about my grades anymore. I had been, before I got them back. But I'm feeling much better about my current status. However, I have a disagreement with a comment made over at the by-log.

But, I since coming to Penn State I have become more tolerant of less than
stellar academic performances on my part. Not because I'm lowering my standards,
but more because I'm allowing my standards to be conformed to reality.

For instance, back in the undergrad days, I freaked out after tests that didn't feel
good (see here or here
for some classic by-log post-test anxiety). Now, I don't freak out so much. It's
still disappointing, but hey, what happens happens.



Now, I understand what he's saying here, but he's looking at this from a different perspective than I am. He's already in the graduate program, and therefore has only to worry about keeping the grades within the bounds of the graduate program. Just like, if I were only wanting a bachelor's degree, I would only need to maintain a 2.00 GPA. But, since I want to go farther than a bachelor's, I must keep my grades as high as I possibly can. However, I appreciate and agree with the last thing he says.

The important thing is to work hard and do your best. If it's good enough
to meet your goals, great. But if it's not, take it as direction from God.


Well said.

1 Comments:

At 1/17/2006 2:36 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

This issue of stressing over grades is one that I have all the time! I was a 4.0 student in my GPA until this past quarter. When my health took a nosedive, I was told by my doctor to decrease my stress...and he suggested I cust school for 2 weeks. Of course, the school worked with me, but I couldn't keep up in my Statistics class. The school offered a week and a half extension, but I would be accepting the lowest passing grade. If I took an F and retook the class at a later date, I could just replace the F in my GPA at that time. So that is what I did.

I am no longer a 4.0 student (for now). My pride stings...but I know that grades are only a number... if I do my best and really give it my all... that is the most important thing. I love being better than average and hope one day I will be again... but the reality is that you can't control everything and after you graduate, most people will never ask what your GPA is anyway.

Last comment... Just do your best and let God do the rest!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home