Tuesday, October 16

No Family Bed in this house

Okay, so this morning reinforced in my mind, the decision to let our bed be a cuddle family bed, and not a sleeping family bed.
Kaylie fell out of her toddler bed about 6:30 this morning and didn't want to go back in it, and since it was the first time it had happened, I took pity on her, and brought her down to our bed. The next hour and a half were a joke getting any sleep. She finally drifted back off to sleep not long before Vernon's alarm went off at 8. For those of you who might comment that we're slackers for lying in bed that long, he didn't get home from work until almost 12:30, and if he ever has a morning to sleep in, we take full advantage of it! =]

Anyway, after the alarm went off, Kaylie was done trying to sleep. I gave up at that point, and decided I should be up anyway. I'm still amazed, that after three 'sleeps' in her new bed, she only has fallen out once, and it took her until this morning to do that--that's a long stretch, I think!

I'll quit bragging now--I'd like to hear your story!

2 Comments:

At 10/17/2007 10:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm with you on the family bed!! And no, it doesn't usually work to try to get them back to sleep in our bed, although it has once in a blue moon. And then it spoils MY sleep. :-(

Actually, I think maybe some children realize the difference and the "edge factor" when you switch sleeping places better than others... maybe Kaylie has that built in sensor! :-) I think only one of our three regular bed sleepers fell out of bed after switching.

 
At 10/19/2007 11:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Julia was a little over two when we took the front rail off our crib (nice feature). The first night she slept like that she fell out 6 times! At one point of Jeff helping her off the floor back to her bed she told him, "I just stay here." Poor girl! She soon got the hang of it, though. We also srtongly enforced the "it's time to sleep, so you stay in your bed", rule- no problems there. She was only in that toddler converted crib for about 4 months before we moved her to a twin bed in another room. There, we put one side against the wall, and a safety rail on the other. Once she got used to sleeping in it, we moved it out from the wall, took off the rail, and used a trick I had read in Parents magazine- pool noodles. Ya know, the long floaty things. Just tuck one on each side under the fitted sheet. It gives just enough resistance to keep a child from rolling off. You can also cut them to differing lengths and so could also be used in a toddler bed. Just our story and my thoughts (and lots of them!)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home