Thursday, July 7

Promised Post (From Yoderpianist)

So, I said that I would post on the whole idea of people in the college world noticing the "dressier" appearance of those who do.

My answer, Jeremy? Yes, they do.

Case In Point #1:

My pre-calculus professor, whom I mentioned some time ago, noticed, and thanked me. It was right at the beginning of Spring 05 semester. I had gone to thank him for giving us an enjoyable class the previous semester, and for giving me an A when I was sure I was going to get a B. (He curved the score a little. Basically all professors do.) He said,"Aw, don't worry about it man. You deserved it. And,by the way, I really appreciated your professionalism." He was referring to the way that I always wore my hair nice (at least I tried...), wore nice shirts (by nice I mean either polo shirts or button-down), and dressy pants (either khakis or nice jeans). By nice in the above statements, I don't mean name-brand; I mean in very good condition. I don't have a personal problem with T-shirts: however, I feel as though the university, both students and professors, is my mission, and it is my duty/privilege to dress/speak/act accordingly.

Case In Point #2:

In this instance, it was my year-long Biology professor. It was a reminder to me that everything is included in your appearance. In this case, it was Never mind, read for yourself.

Case In Point #3:

The other day, Lez and I stopped by ASU because we were right by it and I wanted to stop and look around. We stopped by the afore-mentioned pre-calculus professor's office and I introduced him to my new wife. He had met her before as my fiancee, but I was stopping in partly for oldtimes sake. After the proper greetings, he told Lez,"You have a really good one." She did the normal "Oh I know it!" but I tried to stop her. Later, I told her,"He wasn't saying that because that's the characteristic thing to say. He really meant that." I believe that he truly appreciated me as a student, but more so as a person, because of my "professionalism."

Yes, they're watching. We're watching.

2 Comments:

At 7/07/2005 11:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am by no means a professor, but instead a high school English teacher, and yes we notice. It's ashame how few people know what is acceptable attire and when. We had a very, very intelligent student show up for an internship at a hospital wearing a concert t-shirt. I'm pretty liberal, but I'm sorry, folks, a little ol' fashioned courtesy and manners would go a long way.

I love the brevity and concise nature of your posts. I'll be back to visit every so often.

 
At 7/08/2005 11:46 AM, Blogger Truthseeker said...

Thanks Vernon for this evidence of our appearence in public being noticed. I for one am tired of sloppy folks, old and young!

It should be just as much a cultural/societial issue as much as a Christian issue as to how we dress in public. However, we Christians have a command to be modest in all areas of our lives. We should not be following the world here, especially us guys. We expect modesty of our sisters, why are we so lax in our dress?

Good post, wish I could be so concise, but it ain't in me! {:^)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home