Friday, April 29

Taking Time to Observe

I was driving home yesterday and decided to take the time to notice what all was happening around me instead of just driving. Now, I'm not advocating being a slacker when it comes to driving. I was paying attention to my driving, but having a little fun too. And in my driving, two things caught my eye.

1) I was getting ready to cross over Gordon Highway when I saw this guy in a work van. He had a travel cup sitting on the dash, and as I was approaching him, he reached for the cup. He wasn't watching, and did the little grasp-a-few-times-before-I-actually-have-it-in-my-hands move. I just laughed. It was one of those things that made me feel better because I know I'm not the only one that does something like that.

2) The second thing had to do with talking on the phone. I don't know about you, but sometimes I embarrass myself because I anticipate the other party saying something and preparing myself to comment to that phrase, then when they say something else, I say what I was thinking instead of what makes sense with the conversation. (Make sense?;}) So I was on my way home, and remembered I had a phone call to make to one of my family members (I'm not saying who; that's unfair. That person can reveal their ID if they desire.) So I'm getting ready to get off, and I said something to the effect of "I just wanted to let you know," but the person said (let me see if I can remember) "Uh-huh" with the inflection of someone getting off the phone. I think the person was expecting me to say "See ya later" or something to that effect. Just another one of those "I'm not the only one who does it" realizations for me.

Any personal bloopers that you want to share? Or something you've observed someone else do?
Remember to keep the other persons anonymous. You can reveal your identity only.

2 Comments:

At 4/29/2005 3:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay, Vernon, I'll humor you...I had just noticed that Mom had bought two cases of sodas instead of one, and I promptly commented, "That was a smart drink!"

Another time a telemarketer with a strange accent called - she was Indian or something. Without thinking I copied her accent! On the phone! Needless to say, I felt horrible.

Reluctantly, Susan =)

 
At 4/30/2005 2:40 PM, Blogger Momof3 said...

Sorry Tom, but I find it hard to imagine you Oregonians in a southern accent. Or maybe it's just me...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home