Friday, March 21

Babywise again

Okay, so I got two comments so far on this series........how many of you are reading my posts and not commenting?!
Since Elaine and Jessica both want more from me on this, I'll say a few words. =]
I'm still reading the book through at this point. Elaine, I agree that this book is like others--you can use some of it, and the rest might not work for your baby, as YOU said, Jessica. I didn't have my first baby on a schedule. I probably did what that book would call a demand-feed schedule, and it worked great for us! Even though I was determined to have my baby scheduled according to this book, like my cousin and some others did. I saw how their babies were sleeping through the night at 6 weeks or so, and I was impressed! Well, when motherhood hit me, I found my greatest wishes sitting on the back burner until I found what worked for my baby. Kaylie didn't sleep through the night consistently for longer than week at a time until she was almost a year old. Ashleigh already gives me 5/6 hours straight most nights now.

However, this time around I am trying the feed-time, wake-time, nap-time a little harder, and so far, it works most of the time. Whether it's from trying to work this a little harder or not, I'm not sure. I am not a strict scheduling, non-flexible no matter the circumstances kind of mom.

When I had my daycare, we had somewhat of a schedule throughout the day--breakfast, playtime, maybe snacktime, playtime, lunchtime, play while I cleaned up lunch, clean up time, pottytime, naptime, snacktime, clean up time, get ready to go home. And though I had a general time frame for lunch and naptime, and no mid-morning snack after a certain time, I was flexible to work with whatever our day brought us. For instance--when we had some in weekday school, we couldn't all eat until they were back. When they were all there, we would often eat a little earlier in the day.
So now with my own, I tend to run a little bit the same way--have a schedule of sorts, but do what works for YOU, and not expect what works for others to have to work for you, and if it doesn't, you've failed. That mentality only brings discouragement, not contentment in the calling God has given you. God doesn't expect you to follow others' advice or patterns to the letter, except for ONE-HIS WORD. And since HE doesn't give explicit instructions as to some of the more mundane tasks of babyhood/childhood, we must use the common sense He provided and decide for ourselves what will work for our families.
The one thing I do stress is trying to get all the children to nap at the same time, no matter their age.
In my house, if you are not in school yet, you have to have lying down time. Whether you sleep or not. Depending on your age, you have to take a nap. I used to tell some of my daycare children, you have to close your eyes, even if you don't sleep. Well, Duh. Guess what the result was?!

So all that said--my thoughts on the "Wise" series--I would like to read them all, (esp. the Pottywise one) but know that if I try the methods mentioned and it doesn't work for that particular child, I'm not a inadequate mom.
As far as the feeding part--I do agree with parent-directed feeding. Meaning, I don't want my baby to just snack and get to eat just because she/he is fussing and that may calm her/him down. But I also am not going to listen to crying for another 1/2 hour to 1 hour just to keep them on a schedule if I know hunger is the issue at hand. I felt like that book gave liberty to that issue. But then later to get back on the schedule you had.

For Ashleigh, I'm having to interpret cries all over again, and some are different than Kaylie's typical cries. Ashleigh has a lot more gastro-intestinal problems than Kaylie did, and so I know that feeding when she's not really hungry isn't going to solve that problem. Not in the end. It may solve the initial crying, but end up with the same, if not worse, result. So I have had to experiment with her all over again, to an extent.

So! Now I've said a few things on how I view that particular book. I haven't read any of the others, but aim to sometime. One of my friends and I are talking about buying the series between us to share back and forth.

Jessica, I understand and totally agree with what you said about the "Babywise" people in your life. Becoming a mom really makes you learn how to keep your thoughts on other people's children to yourself, until they ask for your opinion, doesn't it? =] I learned that back in daycare. I'm still learning how to respond to those kind of well-meaning people.

So, any more comments, anyone????? I want to hear more from you!

5 Comments:

At 3/21/2008 4:07 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Hi, I read your post and didn't comment because I haven't read anything on these subjects. =) My dear mother raised 13 and I being next to the oldest saw many things that she did and she is my talking book. I'm very much agreed to the idea of getting my baby on some kind of schedule with feeding especially. Usually though the first 1-2 months are finding that schedule. And like you said I'm flexible along with my schedule. I've seen some babies not be able to sleep because they were not in their bed etc. I like to have adaptable children so that I can get out and do some things. So these are my comments... hope they aren't to forceful. :-)
I think it is good to read books and take the good out of them... I choose not to find the time to do that... I would rather create something then have to read a book. Just my personality. When I do read a book I can't get out of it and then my house doesn't look like I like it to look. So that is anothe reason for not reading. Now these are not the informational books. :-)

 
At 3/21/2008 4:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Books usually have such pat answers . . . - Aimee

I read your first post, but didn't have time to comment . . . it takes me awhile :)

 
At 3/21/2008 6:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I do have to add that the more comfortable I became in my mothering abilities, the less I relied on books and went by instinct. :-) It does take a few weeks to figure out, as you said, what different types of cries mean. I think that the one piece of advice that Babywise helped me the most with was getting as full a feeding as possible those first weeks. I had a very sleepy baby and had to pat her down with a cool washcloth at times to get her to stay awake to eat longer than a couple of minutes at a time. Sounds cruel, but it made life so much better for both of us as she wasn't eating enough to sleep soundly before. And, when I just concentrated on getting a full feeding in, the schedule came quite naturally. It wasn't a thing of, "Okay, not it's been three hours, it's time to feed her." It was more like. "Oh, she's hungry again. Yes, I guess it has been 2 1/2--3 hours." It didn't feel at all like a forced thing. I think different people have different ideas of what scheduled means, and I like the term "routine" better, because it sounds a little more flexible.

 
At 3/23/2008 5:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, I think I'm pretty much with you on the subject. I think I'd say you've definitely learned from your experiences with daycare. I think the most important point here is that each Mom's personality/style is going to vary, as well as each baby's, as well as circumstances when each is born.

I do think that books like Babywise(which I have not entirely read) have their good points(especially for new Moms who have had NO baby experience and feel quite helpless), but you can't be ruled by them. I, too, am turned off at those who think Babywise is the "baby bible" (if you know what I mean).
Here's hoping that Ashleigh's problems get better, and that your little girls bring you lots of joy amidst the busyness of mommyhood!

 
At 3/23/2008 6:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

As with a good number of books, I appreciate the basic premise. The sleep, eat, play routine is valuable, and in my opinion, rather common sense. By nature, I need flexibility in my life; I get very stressed with strict schedules- I need wiggle room. =)However, I'm also very organized, so with our girls I've maintained a routine, but left the details of it to be determined as we go!
-Angela

 

Post a Comment

<< Home