Saturday, February 16

Sleeping Positions

What position does your baby sleep in? If your baby is a stomach sleeper, how old was he/she when you started putting them down like that?

I'm curious, because I'm a firm believer in stomach sleeping. I know pediatricians can't advise it, and I don't start my babies out that way, but when they're taught to put themselves to sleep, I do the belly thing. I'm speaking as in with my daycare experience and now my own children.
Now with Kaylie, for some reason, she preferred her side after a while--her back to the side of the playpen, and her front to the wall. Obviously as your child gets older, they change their positions and might sleep in a variety of ways, no pattern as such.

I'm almost certain Ashleigh has some acid reflux trouble, the last couple days, nights even!, I've tried her stomach for sleeping and she's doing great! She's been pulling her head back, instead of just scrubbing her face against us, etc., and I watched her do this in her bed this morning, so that gives me relief, knowing she can move her face around. Yes, she is only 3 1/2 weeks old, but I'm desperate for anything that works to give her stomach relief!

Have any of your children had reflux trouble? I've only dealt with this some among the children I've dealt with.......I need some tips! I haven't spoken to her doctor about it yet--I'm waiting until her two month checkup to see how she is till then to give a better voice of experience then.

3 Comments:

At 2/18/2008 7:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, I'm another person who will admit to putting a baby on her tummy to sleep. They just sleep better that way. I don't know if she struggled with reflux, but she certainly spit up a lot. I think babies startle less on their tummies. (I did wait until at least a few weeks old, though.) Another way Anna really liked to sleep (which I struggled with at the time, thinking it wasn't a good idea), was in her car seat. Often, we couldn't get her to go down for naps during the day, so we strapped her in her carseat, propped her pacifier up on blankets, and she would sleep marvelously. She always slept fine lying down at night, though. I kept trying her in the crib, and eventually she always went for naps there. Best wishes finding something that works. Those first few weeks are hard!

 
At 2/24/2008 10:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember hearing mom and dad talking about how much I dealt with colic and reflux as a child. Daddy said he would bounce me on his knee on my tummy and I would either burp or toot in between crying until he had bounced it out. I also remember Etta Jacobs dealing with it with their youngest when she was born. She had reflux for a long time. I know Etta was often asking for tips and looking for ways to make it easier to deal with.

I don't have children, but I know this is a tough thing... and an adjustment period for you guys. We love you and pray for you through this! I would love to come babysit...but that's a long ride out there. Maybe this spring or summer?

Love you guys! Heather

 
At 2/27/2008 3:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, as soon as we knew they could lift up their head a bit, we put them on their tummy, all of them. They just like it the best! - Aimee

 

Post a Comment

<< Home